Thursday, May 29, 2008

Dinner for two and a bottle of champagne?

Last year Michael spent our Wedding Anniversary in East Timor, I spent it in West Timor. And this year?

Well, we got up at 6.30am, jumped a mototaxi to the bus station and caught the 7.30am bus from Pacasmayo to Chiclayo, 2 hours later we grabbed the bags from the bus, and threw them onto another bus for the 3 hour ride to Piura. In Piura we pulled them off the bus and dragged them a block to the next bus company where we boarded a bus to Talara - 2 hours. In Talara we headed to the local micro/combi van stop where they loaded boards on the top and we waited for the van to fill before it left for Lobitos. We arrived in Lobitos and spent the night in a room with bunkbeds and a plague of crickets. And when I say a plague of crickets I am not joking. They were everywhere, in everything and on everything. I estimated there were 200, Darrin said 100. If you average our guesses you are still talking about a lot of crickets jumping around you all night. And crickets are too similar to cockroaches for me to feel comfortable when I see them running around on the floor, and hiding under my pillow.

We have moved to alternative cricket free accomodation.

2 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

... and who said romance is dead!