Friday, June 15, 2007

I think I'd rather fly

We're in Sumba. And I already can tell that I'm going to like it here. It's just a feeling, but a good feeling!

The trip from Roti to Timor was fun. We were on the 'fast' ferry. (The slow ferry sank in 2006, with many lives lost). The fast ferry is a passenger ferry. A passenger and chicken ferry. With a stack of surfboards and a moped strapped onto the deck.
Michael and I had seats deep in the basement, right in the front row, in the bow of the boat. There were no windows in front of us which is probably a good idea. I prefer not to know what we are sailing into.
The crossing was fast and flat for the first half of the trip. Then we crossed into the channel, where the sea was 'a little choppy'. At times the windows on either side of the boat were underwater, we were cresting over waves and then dropping with a loud thwak. There was vomiting, screaming and the ladies across the aisle were chanting 'Hallelulah Yesus, Hallelulah Yesus, Hallelulah Yesus', their arms in the air. It was like the best /worst roller coaster ride, with extras.

No comments: