Tuesday, April 24, 2007

In Nepal I ate lentils and vegetable curry for EVERY meal. Not because I chose to, but because when you're in the Everest region they ain't got much else......
In Laos I ate beef noodle soup for almost every meal. Some were delicious, some were not quite so delicious...
In Vietnam I ate more fresh spring rolls than I should, in an attempt to find some as good as the ones I make... I make the best fresh spring rolls.
In Thailand I ate roti - for breakfast, lunch and dinner. There is no way to get tired of eating at Roti Mataba...
Now I know not everyone will agree, but eating every meal out gets really old really fast.... The last time we were able to do any cooking for ourselves was while traveling in our little van.
Guess what?? The house in Bingin Beach has a kitchen - not a full kitchen, but a two ring gas burner, a fridge and a sink. Which if you think about it is all you really need.

Last night I made Macaroni & Cheese from a recipe that I have been using since I first started cooking. My first cookbook was The Pooh Cookbook (sadly now out of print), and it has the BEST macaroni and cheese recipe ever. You can find the recipe here. (The Honey Spice Cake is also a winner!)

We had most of the ingredients, but could not find flour - in ANY of the 3 markets we visited. So I sent Michael down the beach with a bowl in hand. He returned 15 minutes later with pancake mix. Ok, not quite the same thing, but maybe it will work...

ladyhedda made Macaroni & Cheese with pancake mix, and it tasted great.

No comments: