Saturday, July 28, 2007

And it will be finished when?

I'm in Barcelona, with Christine and Mike, and we're sightseeing. Our schedule is relaxed - involving one, or maybe two sights a day, a nice lunch (with wine), a siesta and then dinner (more wine) and relaxing.

Today we visited La Sagrada Familia, Gaudi's unfinished temple. Construction started in 1882, and is due to end in 2026. I'm not sure I'm convinced they'll be done by then, it looks like there's a long way to go. The place is beautiful and crazy all at the same time. I particularly liked the Passion facade on the West side, it's like nothing I've ever seen before.
We took the lift up to the top of one of the towers - where I was reminded of the fact that I do not do heights. The view overlooking Barcelona was fantastic, it was just the moment when taking a photo of Christine and Mike meant stepping out onto a balcony, that was when my knees started to physically shake. We descended the 427 steps on this spiral staircase, and I was happy to be on the ground.

No comments: