Saturday, December 15, 2007

Up up and away



Uploaded by ladyhedda.
Michael is somewhere on the coast hiking with a very heavy back pack and his surfboard! He's carrying 7 days worth of food - which if you think about it is a lot of food, especially if you eat like he eats. He's also got a stove, his wetsuit, reef booties, fishing pole and some clean clothes. All of this is packed into a waterproof bag, because this is Fiordland, and it WILL rain on him. Today he will hike to his destination, which is a Department of Conservation hut on a beach, where there is a bunk and a wood stove. He'll then have 4 days to himself before hiking back around the headland, and starting the return journey. Unfortunately he won't be able to catch a plane out of there, so he's hoping to catch a ride up river before hiking the final 20+ kms out.
I have decided to take myself off to Queenstown for a couple of days - just to check it out. Today I'm hiking to the summit of Ben Lomond (1748m), the views are supposed to be amazing and the weather is good, so I'm packing a lunch and putting on my hiking shoes....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh yeah inter continental computer lessons is just what i need... thanks for the tips and here is my practice shot at using them.... see ya soon,,,, paul

ladyhedda said...

Yay, Pauly Paul.....

Mr. Hagen said...

Hope you have good hiking boots. Trying to get Dyana to hike to the bottom of the Grand Canyon with me, but she is not up for it yet. I am going to try to get her to camp soon. Leo Carillo might be a good spot to start her.