Wednesday, May 30, 2007

It's a dusty place

OK, so I've covered the fact that there's not much to see or do in Kupang. I know I could probably have found myself a guide and visited some local villages, or done some exploring in the countryside. But, to be frank, I'm feeling lazy. So walking around Kupang is as good as it gets.
My favorite part of these walks are the constant greetings I receive. Cries of "Hello Mister" from school children who laugh then run away. The Bemo drivers honk their horns and call out "Where you go Mister", the Ojecks (motorcycle taxis) pull alongside and ask "Where you from Mister". In Kupang I am a Mister. Not a Miss or a Mrs, but a Mister.
More than anywhere else I've been in Indonesia the people here what to talk to me, find out where I'm from, and where I'm going. They're thrilled when I try to talk to them in Indonesian, and always want to teach me a new word or phrase. If I'm eating, they pull up a chair and teach me about the food. If I'm walking, they walk alongside and talk about the weather. And if I'm online they pull up a chair and read over my shoulder. Yes. It's time for me to stop typing and try out some more of my Indonesian....

No comments: